A Cobb man has been reindicted in connection to the July 2016 murder of a 58-year-old man at Windcliff Drive near Terrell Mill Road in Marietta.

Rickey Earl Taylor is accused of tying up Richard Olen Bell’s wrists and ankles with clothing, shoelaces and cords and inflicting “lethal blunt force injuries” to his head, according to a new indictment handed down by a Cobb grand jury.

Taylor was initially indicted in July 2017 in connection to the death of Bell, who Cobb Police previously said had resided at the Lincoln Hills Apartments, now known as The Grandstand. The apartment complex is on Windcliff Drive, just north of Terrell Mill Road and on the western side of Interstate 75. At the time, he faced two counts of felony murder and one count each of malice murder, false imprisonment and aggravated assault.

His reindictment last week was to add a robbery by force charge, according to Kim Isaza, spokesperson with the Cobb District Attorney’s Office. Indictment documents accuse Taylor of taking Bell’s computer and cellphone. The addition of the robbery charge also resulted in a third felony murder charge being added to Taylor’s indictment, as Bell’s death allegedly occurred during commission of a robbery, which is a felony.

The arrest warrant on Taylor was issued mid-February 2017 by Cobb Police, accusing the man of striking Bell in the head with a “heavy linear object.”

But authorities previously said Taylor may also be responsible for two other deaths in a similar fashion in another metro county, with the Cobb warrant coming months after he was arrested on charges that he killed a mother and son in Norcross in Gwinnett County.

Gwinnett authorities on Aug. 7, 2016, found 29-year-old James Sramek dead with his hands bound and hanging in a closet, while the body of 61-year-old Nicola Sramek was covered with sheets, the Gwinnett Daily Post reported in 2017. The two had been tortured with a hammer and knife before their deaths, police said.

According to the newspaper, the Srameks were believed to have been killed three days earlier, with Taylor linked to the crime scene through video surveillance and physical evidence.

He was arrested the day before the two bodies were discovered, according to a Gwinnett County Police news release, initially for his possible involvement in a string of armed robberies over the course of about two days.

The Gwinnett District Attorney’s Office filed notice that it would seek the death penalty against Taylor, the newspaper reported.

Follow Jon Gargis on Twitter at twitter.com/JonGargis.


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.