The Cobb County Public Library System will have the following events and activities this weekend:
Events and activities for Cobb County Public Library patrons and newcomers over the Independence Day 2019 weekend include social crafts programs for adults and children, films, special two-day STEM tutoring sessions for students and more.
- From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. will be Gritters Knitters at the Gritters Library, 880 Shaw Park Road in Marietta. All skill levels are welcome to knit, crochet, cross stitch or work with yarn projects in any way in a positive social setting.
- From 1 to 3 p.m. will be Threadmill Crafters at the Sweetwater Valley Library, 5000 Austell-Powder Springs Road, Suite 123 inside the Threadmill Complex in Austell. Crafters of all skill levels can bring their projects and make friends.
- From 2 to 4 p.m. will be Make and Take Crafts: Universe of Stories Edition at the Lewis A. Ray Library, 4500 Oakdale Road in Smyrna Children of all age can create crafts or start projects from materials provided by the library.
At 6 p.m. will be a special preview screening of excerpts from the “American Experience: Chasing the Moon” film series on the Space Age debuting on PBS this summer at the Sewell Mill Library & Cultural Center, 2051 Lower Roswell Road in Marietta. As the nation celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, Georgia Public Broadcasting is presenting the free screenings of excerpts from the film directed by Robert Stone.
- From 2 to 3:30 p.m. will be Tween and Teen Fearless Art! at the West Cobb Regional Library, 1750 Dennis Kemp Lane in Kennesaw. A variety of process art techniques are highlighted during this series for ages 9 to 12-plus. Registration is required and space is limited. Call 770-528-4699.
- At 10:30 a.m. will be Cinema Saturdays at the Lewis A. Ray Library. The event will feature a free screening of a PG-rated or under film on a big screen.
The 2-Day Free STEM Tutoring Project at the East Cobb Library, 4880 Lower Roswell Road in the Parkaire Landing Shopping Center in Marietta, will be offered as two-hour sessions Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. led by high school students from Walton and Wheeler.
Friday's session will cover geometry and physics concepts as well as construction of a STEM wood project. Saturday sessions will focus on fine-tuning of the project, testing, analysis and review. Sessions start at 10 a.m., noon and 2 p.m.
To register, visit www.cobbcat.org/event/2-day-free-stem-tutoring-project or call 770-509-2730.
For more information, visit www.cobbcat.org or call 770-528-2320.