U.S. Rep. David Scott, D-Atlanta, recently hosted a ceremony to honor 23 students from Georgia’s 13th Congressional District with nominations to attend one of the national military service academies.
Scott presented congressional nominations to students seeking appointments to attend the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado; U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland; U.S. Military Academy in West Point, New York; and U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, New York.
Douglas County nominees included:
U.S. Air Force Academy
• James Benedict II, Douglasville, Douglas County High School.
• Trenton Griffin, Douglasville, Douglas County High School.
U.S. Military Academy at West Point
• Jacob Gurley, Douglasville, Bremen High School.
U.S. Naval Academy
• Joshua Moses, Douglasville, Douglas County High School.
• Logan Sewell, Douglasville, Chapel Hill High School.
The program also featured a special presentation of the Purple Heart Medal by Scott and Ft. Gillem Medical Command Col. Craig Parsons to Vietnam War veteran Lee I. Pickering.
World War II Tuskegee Airmen Hillard Pouncy Jr. and Val Archer; representatives from the U.S. Air Force and Naval academies; and the Langston Hughes High School Color Guard also were part of the Feb. 2 event at Brawner Hall in Smyrna.