DeKalb County voters decided six races during the Aug. 11 runoff, including reelecting DeKalb County Sheriff Melody M. Maddox and unseating 30-year incumbent Michele Henson.

In a special DeKalb race, Maddox won the race with 63.45% of the votes against Ruth “The Truth” Stringer. Maddox was born and raised in DeKalb County and has over 25 years experience in law enforcement.

In the District 86 Georgia House of Representatives election, incumbent Michele Henson and Zulma Lopez faced off. Lopez won the seat with 54.37% of votes and will be unchallenged in November. Henson received around 41% of the June primary and had held her seat for 30 years.

Two county board of commissioners’ races were decided during the runoffs. In District 1, Democrat Robert Patrick took home the votes with 54.68% of votes, leaving Cynthia Yaxon with 45.32% of votes. Patrick will face Republican Nancy Jester, who was unopposed in the primary.

In District 2 of the board of commissioners’ race, Edward “Ted” Terry won the race against Maryam Ahmad with 58.62% of votes. Terry will be unopposed in November.

In the District 3 nonpartisan county board of education race, Deirdre Pierce won the race against Willie R. Mosley Jr. with 55.91% of votes.

Finally, in the nonpartisan Superior Court judge race to replace incumbent Clarence Seeliger, who is retiring, Yolanda C. Parker-Smith took home the race against Melinda “Mindy” Pillow with 68.28% of votes.

Support Local Journalism

Now, more than ever, residents need trustworthy reporting—but good journalism isn’t free. Please support us by purchasing a digital subscription. Your subscription will allow you unlimited access to important local news stories. Our mission is to keep our community informed and we appreciate your support.

0
0
0
0
1

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.