The Canadian Grand Prix was canceled for the second straight year Wednesday due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Formula One race had been scheduled for June 13 at Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

Public health authorities in Quebec had recommended canceling the event two weeks ago, citing concerns over potential COVID-19 outbreaks related to large crowds in Montreal.

The Turkish Grand Prix will replace the Canadian race on the F1 schedule. Turkey's Istanbul Park also was the substitute venue for the Canadian Grand Prix last year.

"While it is disappointing we cannot be in Canada this season we are excited to confirm that Turkey will host a Grand Prix in 2021 after an amazing race last season," F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali said in a release. "I know all our fans are excited by the dramatic start to the season and Turkey is a great circuit that delivers great battles on the track."

Officials said the F1 race will return to Montreal in 2022 and also extended Canada's race-hosting deal by two years through 2031.

--Field Level Media

Support Local Journalism

Now, more than ever, residents need trustworthy reporting—but good journalism isn’t free. Please support us by purchasing a digital subscription. Your subscription will allow you unlimited access to important local news stories. Our mission is to keep our community informed and we appreciate your support.

0
0
0
0
0

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.