Cherokee groom arrested in rehab: After second DUI, local man charged in wedding day crash taken to county jail
by Joshua Sharpe
May 29, 2014 12:49 AM | 4723 views | 0 0 comments | 9 9 recommendations | email to a friend | print
CANTON — For the second time in a week, the groom facing charges in the December wedding day car crash that killed his bride is behind bars — and authorities say he likely will be for some time.

Ryan Quinton was arrested at Timothy House rehabilitation center in Talking Rock on Tuesday night, after Cherokee authorities revoked a bond agreement from his charges in the December crash, said Lt. Jay Baker, spokesman for the Cherokee Sheriff’s Office.

Quinton’s bond was revoked, according to Baker, because the 28-year-old Jasper widower was arrested and charged with DUI early Saturday morning in Pickens County, an arrest that violated the terms of his bond.

Quinton checked in Tuesday morning at the rehab center and planned to stay there for six months, getting help with alcohol issues that have grown since the wreck that killed Kali Dobson Quinton hours after their wedding, his mother said.

The widower’s attorneys say they are petitioning for a new bond agreement. But whenever Quinton gets out of the Cherokee County jail, he has more trouble waiting in Pickens County.

Capt. Frank Reynolds of the Pickens County Sheriff’s Office said a warrant was taken out for Quinton’s arrest Tuesday on charges of violating his probation from a previous arrest for hunting violations.

Quinton is serving a 5-year probation sentence since being convicted of a dozen charges — including hunting out of season, hunting bear and the felony offense of tampering with evidence — in 2012, according to the Pickens Clerk of Court’s Office. He was arrested in the case in 2009.

Quinton has faced other traffic violations before, according to court records. But officials in Cherokee and Pickens counties say he had not been charged with DUI in those jurisdictions before the crash following his wedding at the Wheeler House in Ball Ground.

Reynolds said Ryan Quinton’s probation officer issued the warrant because the DUI charge Saturday violated the terms of his probation.

While the suspect’s mother said she understands the Saturday arrest violated his bond terms, she said she wishes the police would have let him stay in rehab.

“In rehab, he wouldn’t be allowed to leave either, but he would be getting help. He would still be sitting there, not being able to leave, not being able to do anything, but he would be getting the counseling and the guidance that he needed,” Diane Quinton said Wednesday.

The mother said she hadn’t yet had a chance to see her son and didn’t know how he was doing. She said he was in daily turmoil already since the car crash that killed his wife as they drove away from their wedding on Highway 5. The Georgia State Patrol took out warrants for his arrest in the incident in February, charging him with vehicular homicide, DUI and traffic violations, and he was released on bond.

The suspect still has no court date for the December incident. If convicted in that case, he faces up to 15 years in prison for the vehicular homicide charges and a one-year sentence for each of the other charges, authorities said. In Pickens County, he faces up to a year each for the DUI and two additional traffic violations.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides