David Peacock Braun, 21, was found dead in his UGA dorm room Jan. 14.
A toxicology report released this week showed he died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, which is a prescription pain medication 50 to 100 times more powerful than morphine, according to reports attributed to university police.
UGA police said there has been an increase in fentanyl-related overdoses in the student population in recent months, according to the university’s student newspaper, The Red and Black.
The third-year psychology and computer science scholarship student, who graduated from Kell High School in 2011, was described as gentle, kind and loving in an obituary sent to the MDJ after his death.
“David tried to live a life respectful of nature,” the obituary said. “He felt that humans are part of the natural world and that animals are exploited, so he decided to become a vegetarian at age 12, and he never touched meat afterward.”
Braun lived simply and was a gifted musician, according to the obituary.
“Although David was gifted in many ways, he never wanted to flaunt his talent,” it said. “He was passionate about music. He taught himself to play the guitar and became good at it. His University of Georgia roommates could often hear him playing his guitar and singing.”
Braun enjoyed playing computer games and played on several soccer teams in Marietta and Athens.