The Georgia General Assembly is an embarrassment. The following is a list of the kind of laws introduced this year:
• Bills to allow business owners to cite their religious beliefs in declining to serve people they believe are gay or having pre-marital sex.
• Not allow driver’s licenses for immigrants who have been granted deferred legal status with a right to live and work in the U.S. (People who were brought here as children.)
• Expand the tax credit for rich people to pay for private school for their children. (This tax money has to be made up from taxes on everyone else.)
• Allow guns to be taken into bars, churches and college campuses.
• Forbid the state from using any resources to implement Obamacare. (The University of Georgia would not be allowed to operate a computer program to help people find insurance.)
• Give the General Assembly power of expanding Medicaid. (This is to insure 650,000 low income Georgians will remain uninsured.)
• Trying to get a constitutional amendment that income tax be capped at 6 percent. (This is to lay the groundwork to shift to a sales tax.)
• Driver’s license exams to be given in English only.
• Privatizing foster care. (This solves no problem for foster children and will cost more, but the private companies can make campaign contributions.)
• Making it a secret as to what private contractors are paid to do government work.
• Making it easier to start charter schools when they do not have financing. (This takes tax dollars from public schools.)