The University System of Georgia Chancellor Hank Huckaby appointed the members of the Consolidation Implementation Committee, 13 from Southern Polytechnic State University and 13 from Kennesaw State University.
The group will have its first meeting at the USG System Office in Atlanta within the next two weeks, and provide regular updates to both campus communities.
Alana Kyriakakis, who joined SPSU in March as the university’s first in-house counsel, will be on the implementation team, but said the committee has not “received a charge” from Huckaby.
Kyriakakis said she expects the charge by Dec. 4, which should state the purpose of the team, as well as the timeline and process for making
She added that the implementation team will not be making final decisions about the merger.
Kyriakakis said she went through the consolidation of Augusta State University and Georgia Health Sciences University, which became Georgia Regents University.
Although Kyriakakis said she was not intimately involved in the consolidation plan for Georgia Regents University, she understands “the anxiety of the unknown.”
“You take a deep breath, put your head down and get to work,” Kyriakakis said.
She added a consolidation is a lot of work, but it is a chance to create something new to be proud of.
Chesnut, a sophomore political science major and the vice president of the Student Government Association at KSU, said he hopes the implementation committee ensures the traditions and culture specific to SPSU are kept intact and not totally lost.
Suggestions accepted online
Students, faculty and community members can make recommendations to committee members through online suggestion boxes, located respectively at www.spsu.edu/consolidation/suggestionbox.htm and www.kennesaw.edu/consolidation/suggestions.php.
Chesnut is excited about the consolidation, which he said will create a whole new institution with a lasting improvement to higher education in Cobb County and the University System of Georgia.
The merger requires consent by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in December 2014 before the Board of Regents finalizes the merger in January 2015.
Chesnut will be a senior in the fall 2013 semester, and in order to graduate from a united university, he hopes students from both universities begin to meld.
“I would like to see more events where both student bodies can come together,” Chesnut said.
KSU-SPSU Consolidation Implementation Committee Chairs
* Dr. Dan Papp, president, Kennesaw State University
* Dr. Lisa Rossbacher, president, Southern Polytechnic State University
* Jill Brady, registrar, Office of Student and Enrollment Services
* Renee Butler, chair and professor, Department of Systems and Mechanical Engineering
* Austin Clayton, president, Student Government Association
* Sam Conn, vice president of Information Technology and chief information officer
* Jim Cooper, assistant vice president, Office of University Communications
* Matt Griffin, director of athletics
* Kasey Helton, director, Office of Campus Services
* Quint Hill, associate director, Office of Human Resources
* Wendy Kallina, executive director, Institutional Research, Planning, and Assessment
* Alana Kyriakakis, University Counsel
* Julie Newell, chair and professor, Department of Social and International Studies
* Jon Preston, coordinator, Computer Game Design & Development & Professor, Computer Science
* Robin Wade, director, Office of Budgets and Grants
* Terri Arnold, manager, Planning and Strategic Initiatives, Office of External Affairs
* Flora Devine, University general counsel & special assistant to the president for Legal Affairs
* Kathryn Epps, director and professor, School of Accountancy, Coles College of Business
* Dawn Gamadanis, director, Office of Budget and Planning
* Ken Harmon, provost and vice president for Academic Affairs
* Mike Harders, vice president for Development and Advancement
* Randy Hinds, vice president for Operations, CIO, & CFO
* Maureen McCarthy, faculty executive assistant to the President and Professor, Psychology
* Michael Sanseviro, dean of students
* Randy Shelton, executive director, Auxiliary Programs and Services
* Katherine Street, president, Student Government Association
* Kim West, associate vice president for Enrollment Services
* Vaughn Williams, director of athletics