Devils get out to big advantage early on
by Maurice Dixon
MDJ Sports Writer
October 19, 2013 02:27 AM | 1943 views | 0 0 comments | 34 34 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Marietta quarterback Brenton Martin accounted for three touchdowns in the first half, as the Blue Devils built an early lead and cruised to a win over Campbell.
<BR>Staff photo by Samantha M. Shal
Marietta quarterback Brenton Martin accounted for three touchdowns in the first half, as the Blue Devils built an early lead and cruised to a win over Campbell.
Staff photo by Samantha M. Shal
SMYRNA — Brenton Martin passed for two touchdowns and ran for another in the first half to help Marietta build a 10-point halftime cushion, and the Blue Devils cruised from there for a 44-24 win over Campbell in a Region 4AAAAAA contest Friday.

Jordan Mathis had six catches for 107 yards and a score, and he also added a 49-yard rushing TD for Marietta (5-2, 3-2).

“That Campbell team isn’t atop the rankings in the region, but that is a tough football team,” Marietta coach Scott Burton said. “You got to pack your lunch and bring it every day in this region.”

After Mike Rogers put Campbell

(3-5, 1-5) on the scoreboard first with a 43-yard touchdown run in the opening quarter, and Martin responded for Marietta with an 8-yard bootleg to the end zone, a bit of controversy helped the Blue Devils stretch out their lead in the second quarter.

On second-and-20 from Campbell’s 37, Martin completed a pass to Marlon Gober, who appeared down and touched by two Spartans, but the sound from a whistle never followed and Gober sprinted to the end zone for an 18-7 advantage with 7:40 left.

Campbell coach Harris Rainbow disputed his case to the referee that Gober was down, but the touchdown was not overturned.

“That is one of those plays, I’m sure, coach Rainbow wishes there was instant replay,” Burton said. “I couldn’t tell from my vantage point whether he was down or not.”

Ultimately, though, Gober’s play

didn’t have much impact on the rest of the game, and to counter another first-half touchdown run by Rogers, Martin hooked up with Mathis for a 59-yard TD and a 27-14 lead with 1:22 left before the break.

Late in the third quarter, Mathis took an inside handoff and sprinted 49 yards to paydirt for a 34-17 advantage.

Then, after Ian Shannon nailed his third field goal of the game, Martin needed just 1 yard for a first down, but he broke free of the pile and raced to the end zone for a 44-yard touchdown with 5:28 left in final quarter.

“We always tell our kids to play for 6 seconds,” Burton said. “(Martin) could’ve stopped after 2 or 3 yards, but he continued to play and the offensive line continued to push for 6 seconds.”

Kadeem Wallington, Devon Henderson and T.J. Bulock all had an interception for Marietta.

Rogers finished with 25 carries for 130 yards, and Ricky James threw a 44-yard touchdown pass to Shaq Worsham for Campbell.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides