FBI: DC Navy Yard shooter didn't target victims
by Eric Tucker, Associated Press
September 25, 2013 03:30 PM | 1229 views | 1 1 comments | 11 11 recommendations | email to a friend | print
This image from video provided by the FBI, shows Aaron Alexis moves through the hallways of Building #197 at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday, Sept. 16, 2013, in Washington, carrying a Remington 870 shotgun. Alexis, a 34-year-old former Navy reservist and IT contractor, shot and killed 12 people inside a Navy Yard building last week before being killed in a shootout with police. (AP Photo/FBI)
This image from video provided by the FBI, shows Aaron Alexis moves through the hallways of Building #197 at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday, Sept. 16, 2013, in Washington, carrying a Remington 870 shotgun. Alexis, a 34-year-old former Navy reservist and IT contractor, shot and killed 12 people inside a Navy Yard building last week before being killed in a shootout with police. (AP Photo/FBI)
slideshow

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Washington Navy Yard gunman did not target specific individuals when he opened fire inside a building, killing 12 people, and was under a delusional belief that he was being controlled by extremely low frequency electromagnetic waves, the FBI said Tuesday.

Records recovered from Aaron Alexis's computer and cellphone reveal paranoia and mental health problems that authorities are investigating as the root cause.

"Ultra-low frequency attack is what I've been subject to for the last 3 months, and to be perfectly honest that is what has driven me to this," read a document agents recovered from Alexis after the shooting. He had also written "my ELF weapon" — an apparent reference to extremely low frequency waves — on a shotgun he used in the rampage.

Alexis, a 34-year-old former Navy reservist and IT contractor, used a valid badge to access the Navy Yard on the morning of Sept. 16 with a sawed-off Remington shotgun he had purchased two days earlier. He was killed by a U.S. Park Police officer following a rampage and shootout that police now say lasted for about an hour.

Authorities say Alexis had only recently started his job, and that although there was a "routine performance-related issue addressed to him" on the Friday before the shooting, there's no indication that he targeted particular co-workers or was motivated by problems in the workplace, said Valerie Parlave, head of the FBI's Washington field office.

"There is no indication that this caused any sort of reaction from him. We have not determined there to be any previous relationship between Alexis and any of the victims," Parlave said.

At the Pentagon on Wednesday, Deputy Secretary Ash Carter said the department will complete three separate reviews in late December, including internal and independent assessments of base safety procedures as well as the security clearance process.

"Bottom line is, we need to know how an employee was able to bring a weapon and ammunition onto a DoD installation, and how warning flags were either missed, ignored or not addressed in a timely manner," Carter said during a Pentagon briefing.

Carter said the reviews will include consideration of Navy Secretary Ray Mabus' recommendation that the department require that all police reports, not just arrests or convictions, involving an individual be included in background checks.

The Defense Department's internal review will be coordinated by the Pentagon's top intelligence official, Under Secretary Michael Vickers, and the independent review will be spearheaded by retired Navy Adm. Eric Olson and Paul Stockton, the former assistant secretary for homeland defense. A Navy review will be finished by the end of October; initial findings of the two larger reviews are due to the defense secretary by Nov. 15; and the final overall report will be done by Dec. 20.

____

Associated Press Writer Lolita C. Baldor contributed to this report.



Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
(1)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
fact_check_please
|
September 25, 2013
"sawed-off Remington shotgun" ... doesn't look sawed-off from the videos. check your sources.
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides