Dickmann era begins with win for Hoyas
by Chase Wallace
MDJ Sports Correspondent
August 31, 2013 02:09 AM | 2950 views | 1 1 comments | 26 26 recommendations | email to a friend | print
After a season full of tumult in 2012, Harrison got a promising start to the 2013 season — and the tenure of new coach Matt Dickmann — with a win against Woodstock on Friday.
<BR>Staff photo by Erin Gray
After a season full of tumult in 2012, Harrison got a promising start to the 2013 season — and the tenure of new coach Matt Dickmann — with a win against Woodstock on Friday.
Staff photo by Erin Gray
KENNESAW — Harrison ushered the Matt Dickmann era in style, jumping out to a two-touchdown lead at halftime and eventually topping Woodstock 23-13 at Bruce Cobleigh Stadium.

“When you’re a new coach coming in and trying to get a program going, (every win is) important, but this one is special to me because it is the first one at Harrison High School,” Dickmann said. “We’ve got the season started on the right path. Now, we have to keep getting better every week.”

Capitalizing on an early Woodstock fumble, Harrison struck first on the legs of quarterback Lorenzo Nunez.

Taking over at the Wolverine 15, the speedy signal-caller ran for 14 yards on the ensuing play and snuck across the goal line a play later to give Harrison a 6-0 advantage late in the first quarter.

“I thought Lorenzo looked great for us,” Dickmann said of the junior, who finished the night with 150 yards through the air, a game-high 74 yards rushing and even blocked a punt on special teams. “He was comfortable in the pocket and got the ball out quickly all night.”

Woodstock (1-1) answered with a 10-play, 80-yard touchdown drive in the second quarter, capped off by a 26-yard strike from Justin Agner to Garrett Atkinson to tie the game 6-6 after a failed point after.

But Nunez and the Hoyas (1-0) fired right back, completing a 60-yard pass to Matt Eidson to open the next drive, then grabbing a 13-6 lead a play later when Carter Reed rumbled in from 11 yards out.

The Hoyas forced a quick three-and-out on Woodstock’s next possession, and an erratic snap squirted past Woodstock punter Alex Motsinger. Starting on the Woodstock 9-yard line, it took three plays before Jonathan Fisher’s 1-yard touchdown run put Harrison up 20-6 with seconds to play in the half.

“We just didn’t execute (Friday) like we did last week,” said Woodstock coach Brent Budde, whose team was coming off a 34-6 win over Johns Creek. “We had turnovers, bad snaps, penalties, a blocked punt — a little bit of everything.

“Harrison is a good football team, but we have to work on us this week and shore up those fundamentals.”

Hoya kicker Seth Cowan connected on a 27-yard field goal in the third quarter to push Harrison’s advantage to 23-6. Woodstock’s Deante Robinson scored the Wolverines’ final points on a 4-yard run with 5 seconds to play in the third quarter, but a scoreless final 12 minutes brought the game to a 23-13 final.

Agner, who took over for Motsinger behind center after one quarter, led Woodstock with 23 yards rushing and 186 yards through the air. Reagan Amos led all receivers with 78 yards on 11 catches.

Eidson had 72 yards receiving for Harrison.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
Chris M.
August 31, 2013
Way to go Hoyas! Great job goes to the coaching staff and the boys for overcoming the heat and some questionable calls on the field :-)
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides