AT&T, govt reach deal on data plan complaints
by AP News Now
November 07, 2012 11:20 AM | 772 views | 1 1 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
NEW YORK (AP) — AT&T agreed to pay the federal government $700,000 and offer refunds to customers for mistakenly forcing some smartphone users into monthly data plans.

In late 2009, AT&T began to require new smartphone customers to subscribe to monthly data plans. Existing subscribers with pay-per-use plans or no plan at all had to get a monthly plan when they upgraded to a new smartphone.

The requirement wasn’t supposed to apply when subscribers replaced a lost or broken phone through an insurance program or warranty, or if they moved to a different AT&T service area. But a computer error moved those customers into monthly plans anyway.

AT&T Inc. now must offer to restore the older plans and give refunds, which the Federal Communications Commission said could be up to $30 a month.

AT&T said that the issue affected a small number of customers and that those who contacted AT&T had already been given refunds. Tuesday’s agreement with the FCC requires the Dallas company to post notices on consumers’ bills and offer them a chance to return to a pay-per-use plan or drop data use entirely.

Comments
(1)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
Bob Bummer
|
November 09, 2012
A "computer error" is also a "human error" because somewhere along the way a human programmed the computer incorrectly for this to happen. Or was is incorrectly programmed on purpose to increase the profits?
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides