While Langley said in a prepared statement to the media that he’s on his way to fulfilling the path he had set out for his football career.
“I’m about to fulfill 80 percent of my dreams, with the NFL being the other 20 percent,” Langley said in the statement. “The SEC is the best conference in college football. South Carolina is a beautiful state. The university is an SEC monster, as well as a national contender, and I can’t wait to help them reach another SEC title (game) and even a national title. I can’t wait to play for a coach with such experience and control as coach (Steve) Spurrier.”
Kell coach Derek Cook expressed his excitement about Langley’s decision.
“I’m extremely happy for him,” Cook said. “I know he put a lot of time and research into the decision. I’m excited that he is able to put this behind him and commit 100-percent focus to Kell football and finish his senior high school season on a positive note.”
Langley is the second player from Kell’s class of 2013 to commit to a Division I school, with safety Quincy Mauger making Georgia his destination last month.
Langley will also be joined in the SEC by a large number of his fellow Cobb seniors, including Walton running back Tyren Jones (Alabama), quarterback Parker McLeod (Alabama) and offensive tackle Jake Boynton (Kentucky), Marietta quarterback Anthony Jennings (LSU), Hillgrove tight end Evan Engram (Mississippi) and Harrison punter Jimmy Hutchinson (Auburn).
Other local Division I commitments are Lassiter quarterback Eddie Printz (UCLA), Marietta wide receiver Tyree Harris (Wake Forest), Hillgrove cornerback Tolando Cleveland (Georgia Tech), McEachern offensive tackle Jajuan Dulaney (Maryland) and Walker defensive tackle Mike Ramsay (Duke).
Langley’s commitment also continued what’s become a growing pipeline of Cobb County recruits to South Carolina. Former McEachern standouts Rory Anderson, Marcquis Roberts, Nick St. Germain and Darius English will all be in Gamecock uniforms this fall.
The 6-foot-1, 187-pound Langley got 11 scholarship offers from SEC schools — all but Florida and league newcomers Texas A&M and Missouri. In the end, he chose South Carolina over Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and UCLA.
“He went back and forth over this decision,” Cook said. “But, about a month or so ago, he started to tell me about South Carolina and how impressed he was with their defensive coordinator, coach (Lorenzo) Ward and their defensive backs coach, (Grady) Brown. He likes Columbia, and he likes that it is only a three-hour drive from here, so he’s closer to home. I think (South Carolina) is a good fit for him.”
Langley said in his statement that he was glad to get this grueling stage of his life behind him.
“The recruiting process has had its ups and downs,” he said. “I’ve met many of college football’s finest players and coaches, and I’d like to thank them all for showing they were interested throughout this whole ordeal. This was a very humbling experience. I wish all the programs that dealt with me nothing but the best in the future.”
After playing strictly as a wide receiver as a sophomore, Langley — who has recorded a time of 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash — made a successful debut on the defensive side of the ball for Kell in 2011 with 59 tackles and six interceptions.