North Cobb Christian victorious without taking a single snap
by Greg Oshust
goshust@mdjonline.com
August 30, 2012 12:42 AM | 2091 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
North Cobb Christian is off to a 1-0 start without even stepping on the field.

The Eagles were awarded their win Wednesday after Southwest Atlanta Christian forfeited the teams’ season opener.

North Cobb Christian was scheduled to host the game late Friday afternoon at Jacob Dennis Field, but, according to Eagles coach Harry Miles, Southwest Atlanta Christian chose to forfeit the game because it won’t have its helmets and shoulder pads ready in time.

“I’m not sure about the whole thing, but they had their equipment reconditioned or something, and they had problems getting it back, so they are not able to play,” Miles said. “That’s all I know. It’s a shame that we couldn’t play Friday, and I wish SACA all the luck this season.”

Now, the Eagles will turn their focus toward opening the season Sept. 7 at Walker.

It’s the third year in a row that North Cobb Christian has come away with win after Week 1, with the Eagles beating Mount Zion-Carroll in the season opener the last two years.

While Miles is happy to be 1-0, he said that he would have rather earned it on the field.

“Obviously, it’s great to start the season with a win, but we would have preferred to be out there playing Friday,” Miles said. “We have pretty good kids who were ready to play, so now we will get ready for Walker next week.”

Miles and his players will instead look ahead to their game with Walker, which North Cobb Christian will be facing for the first time.

“We will get to have a little more work on Walker,” Miles said. “We have more time to work on some things, and it gives more time for some of our injured kids to heal.”

North Cobb Christian is playing a non-region schedule again this season, looking to improve on last year’s 1-9 record. The Eagles are entering the season with a much younger team after losing nine seniors from last year, but they also have a larger roster that’s increased in numbers from 26 in 2011 to 33 this year.

Miles said he was encouraged by the progress he saw during preseason practice in August.

“We’ve got some new kids, and we’ve got a lot of young kids,” Miles said. “Things are definitely coming along, and the kids are picking things up. We’re looking forward to see what we can do with our new offense.”
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides