Marietta partners with GMI for anniversary
by MDJ staff
August 06, 2014 01:05 AM | 1449 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The City of Marietta will continue its commemoration of the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War on Aug. 9 at 11 a.m. during the Officer Candidate School Graduation Ceremony for the Georgia Military Institute at the Hilton Atlanta/Marietta Hotel & Conference Center, 500 Powder Springs St. in Marietta.

Chartered as Georgia’s first military institute, GMI was originally founded in 1851 on the grounds of the conference center. GMI cadets left Marietta in 1864 to assist in the Confederate defense during the Battle of Atlanta, thus leaving the campus empty.

During the Civil War, Union Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman and his troops burned many of the Institute’s vacant buildings during his March to the Sea.

Brumby Hall is the only remaining structure of the original GMI. It was built in 1851 for Col. Arnoldus Brumby and his family. Col. Brumby served as the first superintendent of GMI and directed the Institute from 1851-59. To honor the legacy of GMI, the Georgia Army National Guard named its Officer Candidate School after the Institute in 1961 and GMI returned to Marietta in 2008.

During the graduation ceremony on Saturday, local historian Michael Shafer will give a brief history of GMI during the Civil War. There will also be GMI artifacts on display for viewing.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides