“The Tour offers visitors a rare chance to peek inside our historic homes, which are not normally open to the public,” said Katie Peterson, executive director of Marietta Visitors Bureau.
“The homeowners always do a magnificent job decorating their houses. It is a great opportunity to get additional ideas for decorating your own home,” the Marietta resident said.
The tour is a tradition that promotes the community.
“Its focus is promoting awareness of historic preservation and heritage tourism,” Peterson said.
The tour is a must-see event.
“Marietta Pilgrimage has been recognized multiple times as a Top Twenty Event in the Southeast by the Southeast Tourism Society and as a Top 100 Event in North America by the American Bus Association. These distinctions solidify the Tour’s status as a premier holiday event in Georgia and the Southeast,” Peterson said.
A day tour of all six homes and buildings or an evening candlelight tour of three of the six homes is offered. A combination ticket allows viewing the public buildings and three of the homes during the day tour and the remaining three homes during the candlelight tour.
The day tour runs Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The candlelight tour is Saturday from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Day tour tickets are $20 in advance and $25 the day of the tour. The candlelight tour tickets are $15 in advance and $20 the day of the tour. The combination ticket is $25 in advance and $30 the day of the tour.
For more details and a schedule of shuttle service, visit www.mariettapilgrimage.com or contact Marietta Welcome Center at (770) 429-1115 or Cobb Landmarks at (770) 426-4982. Tickets are also available at any of the tour homes. No phone orders.
The Kay dous LaKay (“KAI do laKAI”) Cottage ,
c. 1942, 192 Cleburne Avenue
The Kay dous LaKay Cottage was built in 1942 in the midst of World War II. There was a great deal of construction going on in Marietta. The Bell Bomber Plant was being built as well as homes and neighborhoods sprouting up to accommodate the new employees and their families. Marietta played an active role in the war effort.
One of the new neighborhoods known as Westpark subdivision was developed by Francis P. Sharp and Walter Warnake. It consisted of 27 “defense” homes and the Kay dous LaKay Cottage was one of those original 27. A Marietta Daily Journal article in March 1942 reported that the location of these homes was on the Governor Joe Brown’s estate. Bounded by Polk Street and Maple Avenue and Walthal and Cleburne Streets, the 27 houses were “individually designed to avoid any tendency toward the monotony frequently found in subdivisions.” This charming craftsman style cottage was thought to be the “model home” for the neighborhood and was sold to J. A. Simmons in 1944 for $3,900.
The current owners, Chris Cole and Ron Piotrowski, purchased the house in 1989. They named it Kay dous LaKay Cottage, which means “home sweet home” in Cajun. The front porch was added in 2009 and offers a warm and inviting entrance as well as additional space for guests to relax in the wicker furniture. The eye-catching plantings and rockwork show off the beauty of the front entrance.
Cole and Piotrowski furnished the home with family collections and antiques. Guests should make note of the Waterford crystal collection throughout the home, as well as the collection of finials. Heirloom Waterford ornaments glisten on the tree and other decorations range from antique to contemporary. The fireplace mantle in the living room is from the 1880s and the British Armoire is circa 1850s. The dining room serves as home to a dining room suite from the 1950s, as well as a cheerful collection of elves.
The Davant-Hayes-Baird House, c. 1904, 166 Maple Avenue
The Davant-Hayes-Baird House is a Georgian cottage house with double bays and is owned by Pat and Ruth Ann Baird. It was constructed in 1904 by Frank B. Davant. In 1909, the property was sold to Frank M. Watson, an employee of the Brumby Chair Company. It remained Watson’s home for almost 30 years before being purchased by George L. Lemming – an employee of the Southern Railway Company – in 1938. In 1949, his widow sold the home to J. D. and Evelyn Hayes.
J. D. Hayes was a prominent local citizen, who owned the Marietta Dish & Pottery Company Gift & China Shop. He also served as president of the Lions Club and as an Elder at First Presbyterian Church. Their daughter, Martha Hayes, inherited the home and lived there until her death in 2010. The Bairds then purchased the house from her estate.
The house contains many unique features including original windows, columns, fireplaces and woodwork. The mantle and window bench in the living room are also original. In the 1950s, J. D. Hayes and his family remodeled the front porch. Evelyn Hayes loved flowers both inside and outside her home. This led J. D. Hayes to build the additional entry under the house (left of the front porch), so Evelyn could protect her flowers during the winter. The back addition was built in 1994 by Martha Hayes. This lovely home is filled with family heirlooms and antiques.
The Malone-Harrison-Hines House, c. 1885, 369 Kennesaw Avenue
This house was built around 1880 as a large Victorian-style house with circular porches. After several owners lived here for short periods of time, Dr. J.D. Malone, a prominent Marietta physician, purchased it. Dr. Malone helped establish and was president of the Soldiers Welfare Commission in Marietta during World War I. He raised his family in the home and upon his death in the 1930’s, his daughter, Mrs. George Harrison, acquired the property. She sold the house in 1975 to Justice Harris Hines of the Georgia Supreme Court and his wife, Helen. The Hines raised their two children in the house where they have lived for 38 years.
In the early 1930’s, a fire destroyed the second story and the house was redesigned by well-known Atlanta & Marietta architect, Montgomery Anderson. Anderson undertook major changes to the construction of the home by altering the roofline and removing the porches giving the house a more “Williamsburg” or cottage-style look. The first floor of the house was not damaged in the fire and retains the original heart pine floors, stairwell, Victorian millwork and large central hall. The house also contains four fireplaces and two bay rooms. In the 1980’s, the present owners took the second story which had become an attic and added an additional bedroom, bath and den area. They also remodeled the kitchen and back porch area.
The Cross-Land-Hewitt House, c. 1907, 137 Stewart Avenue
Situated amid 19th-century pecan trees still standing today, the Cross-Land-Hewitt house was originally part of the 3,000 acre Archibald-Howell estate. It has been said that in 1905 the estate was subdivided and sold to grove workers as modest living quarters. In 1907, the house was built on the property. Original deeds state it was a lot with “a five-room, one-story house.”
The architectural style is considered a National Folk house, influenced by the early 20th century craftsman/bungalow movement. The one-story, gabled front and wing has modest stylistic details; a front porch supported by tapered square piers, eaves with exposed rafter tails, and wood wall cladding with horizontally lapped boards. Period details include wavy glass windows, plaster walls, a coal burning fireplace, and cast iron ball foot tub. The original heart pine floors are still intact, milled in 13 to 16 foot board lengths and laid in a single run from wall-to-wall.
Although the house has had 18 homeowners, it has undergone only one major renovation in its history. In 1989, an addition to the back of the house increased the home’s footprint. The kitchen was expanded, the hall configured, a master suite added, and the attic space converted, which now functions as a media room.
The current owners, Jeffrey and Diane Hewitt, purchased the home in 1996. With sensitivity for the home’s architectural integrity, they updated both bathrooms and the kitchen. The interior design respects the property’s heritage while accepting modern day living and personal style. A well-edited mix of furniture, decorative arts, and artifacts span a timeframe from the early 1900s through today. Thoughtfully combining old with new, the space remains fresh and relevant with a European sensibility.
The Cross-Land-Hewitt house embraces a century of design and history, blending traditional and modern elements that reflect the property’s 106-year existence.
The Bramlett-Hicks-Ferreira House, c. 1922, 176 Stewart Avenue
Located at 176 Stewart Ave., the Bramlett-Hicks-Ferreira House was built in spring 1922 for Miss T.E. Bramlett. After changing hands several times in the 1920’s, the home was purchased by Albert J. Hicks in 1926. Hicks died in 1929, but his widow continued to live in the house until 1972. Following a series of other owners, Ted and Lara Ferreira purchased the home in 2002.
When the house was featured in the Marietta Pilgrimage in 2004, the Ferreiras ended their description by stating that they “planned no more changes to the house.” Today, they read these words and laugh at themselves. In 2009, the Ferreiras completely remodeled the house, stripping every room except for the kitchen (which they updated in 2004) down to the wall studs and floor beams. Removing the former master bedroom and two baths, they enlarged what is now the master suite and added three bathrooms. In what became a six-month renovation, the Ferreiras also converted the former detached garage into a family room and connected it to the main house with a new hallway and bedrooms for each of their three children. The swimming pool and surrounding landscaping were added in 2010.
The Ferreiras delighted in planning every detail of the renovation, with the intention of making 176 Stewart Ave. “the house it dreamed of becoming.” With design support from Moon Brothers Architects, they maintained its original bungalow appearance from the curb, but with a contemporary courtyard space at the center. Architectural details include tongue and groove ceilings in selected rooms, custom lighting fixtures and narrow clerestory windows throughout the house which provide daylight while maintaining privacy. In the foyer, you will find a few special items … a backlit wine bridge featuring a number of local labels and a lifetime’s collection of Christmas ornaments – many from Lara’s childhood, forty-plus years of “Ted-bears,” and of course, some of their own priceless kid-creations. The fireplace mantle also highlights vintage memorabilia and photographs in homage to their rare Pierce Arrow camping trailer, selected as Best in Show at the 2012 Marietta Hubcaps & History car show. One of only 20 or so remaining in the U.S. (Jay Leno has one in his garage), Ted and Lara’s 1937 camper, Delores, is on display at the conclusion of your visit.
The Cox-Brown-Parker House, c. 1900, 109 Maple Avenue
Originally constructed in 1900, this Victorian cottage has many memories that have been shared among family, friends and neighbors. Many of the houses on Maple Avenue erected at this time were built as homes for the employees of the Brumby Chair Company. Early owners of the house were William and Mary McLellan.
William R. Cox purchased the property at some point between 1910 and 1920. Cox, his wife, and his son Raymond and his family lived in the house until the 1950s. Mr. Raymond, as he was known in the neighborhood, owned a meat and grocery market on Powder Springs Road called Cox’s Market. The original land lot was 25 acres, which ran from Maple Avenue to Moon Street. The rear property was used as a farm and housed 25 beef cattle at any given time. They also used to host pony rides. Raymond and Emma Cox raised three of their five children at this house – Ruth, Jerry, and Joe.
Renee Curlee owned the house from 1995-2011 and renovated it. In 2011, Roy and Courtney Fleeman bought the property. The current owners, Jean and Alan Parker, purchased the home in 2013. The house maintains its original footprint and there have been no additions. The office was initially the sleeping porch and the kitchen was an unusually large size for its time. The large size of the kitchen is attributed to the belief that the meat for the market was prepared here. Of special note are original features such as coal-burning fireplaces, 10 foot ceilings, built-ins in the living room and picture molding.