Gang member accused in Calif. attack that killed 4
by Don Thompson, Associated Press
June 11, 2012 02:41 PM | 539 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) _ A paroled gang member is the suspect in a late-night weekend assault that left four people dead in a Sacramento home, including the gunman, police said Monday.

The suspected shooter is 26-year-old Xue Lor, said Officer Michele Gigante, a Sacramento police spokeswoman. She described him as a parolee subject to high supervision who was released after serving time on gun possession charges.

Lor was killed at the scene after police say he entered a home late Saturday and fatally shot a husband and wife who lived there, as well as killing a male guest identified as Lee Doua Cha, age 33. Another male guest was critically wounded.

Lor was shot by another resident, who was not injured.

Gigante says other members of the victim family also have gang connections, and the motive for what police initially described as a home invasion remains unclear.

Su Vang, who often acts as a spokesman for the Hmong community in Sacramento, said the dead included a husband and wife, and their son was the one who confronted and killed the assailant. He said the husband was known in the Hmong community as a shaman, or faith healer.

The Sacramento County coroner’s office would not immediately name the husband and wife who were killed in the home because relatives had not been officially notified of their deaths.

There were no signs of forced entry, but the gunman entered the home and opened fire, Gigante said.

Another resident was in a back room of the home.

“He hears all this, he comes out and they exchange fire, the suspect is killed at the scene,” Gigante said. “We’re pretty confident we’ve got our shooter, and he’s deceased.”

The dead couple were in their 50s, said Gigante, who did not have an age of the surviving wounded guest. She said the resident who killed the suspect was not injured, but she declined to release his age.

Deputy coroners removed the last two bodies from the single-story, light blue home Sunday evening. Crime scene investigators were observed carrying a half-dozen rifles from the home and putting them in a police van.

As investigators worked Sunday, more than a dozen people gathered just outside the crime scene tape that cordoned off the home and the entire block of the residential neighborhood of one-story homes.

Television news trucks were parked nearby, while reporters looked on and children rode their bicycles and played in nearby yards.

Neighbor Mai Thao, who previously lived on the same block, said she knew the victims.

“They’re really nice people,” she said. “They’re always quiet and looked really happy.”

She said she had seen them tending to the flowers and vegetables that could be seen growing in the front yard of the home. The shades were drawn, and wind chimes swayed from the front porch.

Neighbors said they hadn’t heard the shootings, though one said his nephew heard what he thought were fireworks and didn’t pay attention until police began arriving.

The surviving victim remained in critical but stable condition Sunday, Gigante said, but she declined to provide additional details.

Police were asking members of the public who may have information about the shooting to contact them.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides