Fire kills girl during power outage; candle blamed
February 14, 2014 01:00 PM | 599 views | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
MILLEN, Ga. (AP) — Authorities say a 5-year-old east Georgia girl has died after a candle sparked a fire in her home, which had lost power after this week's ice storm.

Glenn Allen, a spokesman for the state fire marshal's office, says the girl's parents are both hospitalized for burns and smoke inhalation.

Allen says firefighters were called to the manufactured home in Millen around 5:40 a.m. Friday.

Allen said the father escaped the burning home but went back inside to try and rescue his daughter, and that's when he was injured.

Allen said the family was using a generator and a space heater to stay warm, but fire investigators determined that an unattended candle in a bathroom sparked the blaze.

The town is about 50 miles south of Augusta, in an area hard-hit by power outages.



Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides