Ensure your 529 plan is worth it
by William G. Lako, Jr.
August 01, 2013 10:59 PM | 2929 views | 1 1 comments | 77 77 recommendations | email to a friend | print
William G. Lako Jr.<br>Business Columnist
William G. Lako Jr.
Business Columnist
Because the investment income is tax-free if the money is used for qualified college expenses, 529 College Savings Plans are widely popular for college savings. 529 Plans can be used to pay for the cost of qualified colleges nationwide. Additionally, most plans allow third-party contributions, thus allowing parents and grandparents to pool their funds. With nearly every state offering at least one 529 Plan, those who are looking to save for a child’s college education have a variety of choices.

Most financial advisers recommend using the 529 Plan offered by your state of residence because you may receive state tax benefits for your contributions. However, what do you do if you have mediocre investment returns, high fees, and limited investment options or flexibility?

If you are happy with the flexibility and tax advantages of your current plan, consider changing your investments inside the plan. 529 Plans, generally, allow you to change the way your future contributions are invested at any time. Many plans offer age-based portfolios that become more conservative as the child reaches college age. While this autopilot feature is designed for ease, you should review your options each year, as you should your 401(k). If you are unhappy with the age-based allocations, you should be able to change future contributions to equity and bond allocations of your choosing. If you decide not to use an age-based allocation, rebalancing each year becomes increasingly important. If you want to change the investments for existing contributions, the rules are a bit more complicated and vary by plan. The government authorizes plans to allow you to change the investment option for your existing contributions once per calendar year without having to change the beneficiary; however, plans are not required to allow you to do so.

Paying high fees will cut into your savings. You should look at both the investment fees and the program management fees charged by the plan’s administrator. You should also compare what you may save in fees to any state income tax benefits you may receive. If you choose to invest in a different state’s 529 Plan, you’ll want to do a “same beneficiary rollover.” Generally, you are allowed to roll over a 529 Plan into another state’s plan for the same beneficiary every 12 months, without triggering a federal penalty; however, some plans will charge a fee.

In addition to the fees, when examining the other plans you should review the plan features that are important to you, which may include the annual contribution limit, the cumulative contribution limit, and flexibility in terms of transferring account ownership or directing new contributions to different investments.

Although most 529 College Savings Plans offer a variety of investment tracks, you may still prefer to have more control over your college investments. You may consider a Coverdell Education Savings Account, which allows you to choose your underlying investments. But, be aware that you can contribute significantly less per year to a Coverdell Education Savings Account than you can to a 529 Plan. Another option available is to open a taxable investment account for your child. Not only can you choose the investments, but your child can use the money for non-education expenses, such as, buying a home or starting a business. Depending on your child, this may or may not be a good option.

William G. Lako, Jr., CFP®, is an Executive in Residence at Kennesaw State University’s Coles College of Business and a principal at Henssler Financial. Mr. Lako is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
August 02, 2013
I chose to go with Utah 529 plan since Florida does not have state income tax and their plan was more expensive it was best for me to go with UESP. What I think has helped me the most however is linking my 529 plan to college savings registry. There are a few out there but I recommend GradSave, they are the only crowd-funding platform which is 100% free. You juts set up a profile for your child and share it with friends and family who can then contribute via credit card or e-check one time or set up monthly gifts. All the gifts received at GradSave are then transferred to a 529 plan.
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides