Defense wants more time in Colorado shooting case
by Colleen Slevin, Associated Press
October 11, 2012 04:00 PM | 1020 views | 0 0 comments | 3 3 recommendations | email to a friend | print
CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) — A hearing to decide if the man accused of opening fire on a Colorado movie theater should stand trial might not be held until January.

A lawyer for James Holmes told a judge Thursday that the defense must review nearly 19,000 pages of evidence received so far to prepare for it.

Prosecutors say they could be ready for a hearing next month. But they want to consult with victims and their families before agreeing to delay the preliminary hearing, where the evidence against Holmes will be presented.

Judge William Sylvester says he’ll decide the matter later this month.

Meanwhile, a lawyer for victims argued against the media’s request to unseal more information. She said victims have been harassed and a university psychiatrist Holmes was seeing can no longer live in her house because she doesn’t feel safe.

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
*We welcome your comments on the stories and issues of the day and seek to provide a forum for the community to voice opinions. All comments are subject to moderator approval before being made visible on the website but are not edited. The use of profanity, obscene and vulgar language, hate speech, and racial slurs is strictly prohibited. Advertisements, promotions, and spam will also be rejected. Please read our terms of service for full guides