DiMassimo has asked commissioners to buy the vehicle at tonight’s meeting.
She is recommending the lowest bid from Nextran Truck Center at $233,618 for a “Mack truck-style” salt spreader with front snowplow and two salt spreader hoppers. The federal government will pick up 80 percent of the tab for the new truck, with the county footing the remaining 20 percent.
Dan McDuff, the department of transportation’s deputy director, said the county hasn’t owned a snowplow in six years. The new rig will be used for clearing Cobb Community Transit parking lots, along with the bus maintenance yards, he said.
“We had them in the past, but we didn’t have any opportunities to really use them in the past,” McDuff said. “They were surplussed years ago. They were old and just weren’t usable.”
When the ice storm struck Cobb two winters ago, the county found itself in need of some snow removal equipment, he said.
“It was a real problem in the last ice storm because of our inability to do anything with CCT buses and our need to first of all make our facilities safe, like our park-and-ride, and just for the bus drivers to get the buses out of the parking lot was a challenge,” he said. “It would give us the ability to clear routes for the bus drivers to keep bus service active.”
During that ice storm, the county leased several motor graders from contractors to help move the ice, he said.
“That way we don’t have to buy a bunch of things that sit in the yard and rust,” he said.
Since then, there hasn’t been a need for a snowplow in Cobb County.
“Here’s the issue,” county chairman Tim Lee said. “We need to have a minimal amount of equipment available in the event we have some inclement weather similar to what we had last time.”
Because of the demand for such vehicles, it won’t be until fall that it arrives if approved by the commissioners tonight, he said.
The Federal Transit Administration will pay for 80 percent of the cost through a matching grant program.
Tonight’s meeting begins at 7 p.m. in the boardroom at 100 Cherokee St., Marietta.