* Cobb County parks and recreation will sponsor a family Candy Cane Hunt from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Dec. 1 at the Mable House, 5239 Floyd Rd., Mableton.
Activities will include cookie decorating, crafts, marshmallow roasting, photos with Santa and a Candy Cane Hunt with prizes.
* The city of Kennesaw is hosting its annual Christmas parade, entertainment and tree-lighting Saturday, Dec. 1 in downtown Kennesaw.
The event features local marching bands and musical ensembles, costumed characters, designer floats and live reindeer pulling Santa’s sleigh.
The parade starts at 1 p.m., and the route begins near the intersection of Park Drive and Main Street and will proceed southeast down Main Street toward Sardis Street.
Additional attractions will be near the Depot, 2828 Cherokee Street, until 6 p.m. Those include visits with Santa Claus, live music and dance performances featuring Kennesaw Parks & Recreation programs and a variety of food vendors, crafts and general merchandise.
Children’s activities include a petting zoo and pony rides, inflatable slides and bounce houses, a real snow playground, snow-tubing slide and other activities, some with nominal charges.
The Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History will offer free admission on from 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Items in The General Emporium museum gift shop will also be discounted.
An event titled “Christmas on the Home Front” will take place from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and consists of a living history Civil War encampment on the front lawn as well as period dancing inside. Re-enactors will be drilling young recruits while Southern Belles play period games and decorate holiday cards.
A Christmas tree lighting program with live music and sing-a-long will begin at 5:30 p.m. in front of the Depot.
* The 116th Army Band will perform two free concerts in Cobb on Dec. 1. The first, at 2 p.m., will be at American Legion Post 29, 921 Gresham Ave, NE, Marietta. The second will be at 7 p.m. at the Smyrna Community Center, 200 Village Green Circle, Smyrna.
At both performances, the band will be collecting unwrapped toys for fellow Soldiers with children.
For more information, call 678-569-5532.
* The city of Powder Springs will host its annual Lighting of the Christmas Tree and Hometown Holiday Celebration on Dec. 1, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Historic Town Square, 4488 Pineview Drive.
There will be live entertainment, carriage rides, free hot chocolate and photos with Santa Claus.
* WellStar Kennestone Hospital invites guests to Lite the Night on Dec. 2, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Santa and Mrs. Claus will be on hand for a photo, along with some of his favorite reindeer. There will be festive children’s activities, holiday musical performances, and cookies and hot chocolate. Jordan Graye from B98.5 FM will emcee the program as the community counts down and light the great 60-foot Christmas tree atop the hospital.
Lite the Night takes place on the top level of the WellStar Kennestone Hospital Cancer Center parking deck, 320 Kennestone Hospital Blvd., Marietta. Admission and parking are free.
Attendees may park in the WellStar Kennestone Hospital Blue Parking deck, then take the elevator to “Level 4 – Cockatiel” to access the walkway to Cancer Center parking deck.
* Santa will be stopping at the Depot in Downtown Acworth on Dec. 7 from 6:30 to 9 p.m. There will be a host of performances to help Santa kickoff the holiday season.
Bring the entire family to hear Mayor Tommy Allegood read “The Night Before Christmas” and watch the lighting of the Tree on Main Street. Enjoy pictures with Mr. and Mrs. Claus, eating candy canes with all his elves, and filling the streets with the holiday spirit.
Pictures with Santa and Mrs. Claus begin at 6:45 p.m. Time slots for pictures are limited so arrive early to schedule your time. There will not be professional photographers this year. Instead, parents may take their own photos of their children with Santa and Mrs. Claus.
* Austell will host its tree lighting at Collar Park on Dec. 7. Festivities begin around 6 p.m. with local school choruses performing. Santa will arrive between 7 and 7:30 p.m. There will be free hot dogs, cake and cookies; soft drinks, hot chocolate and coffee.
Collar Park is at 2625 Joe Jerkins Boulevard, adjacent to the City Hall/Police Department Complex.
* The Cobb Wind Symphony will hold its 14th annual Sounds of the Season concert on Dec. 9 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Kell High School, 4770 Lee Waters Rd., Marietta. The concert is free, though donations are accepted. The Cobb Wind Symphony is comprised of adult musicians from across metro Atlanta. For more information, call 678-305-7148 or visit www.